Australia beat Sweden and finished seventh in the WWC2022
Team Australia outlasted Team Sweden 7-0 in an evenly matched game. Neither team was able to create a noticeable advantage throughout the game, but Team Australia did manage to score the only points of the game to get the win.
Team Sweden and Team Australia both spent the first half of the game feeling each other out in all phases of the game. Team Sweden controlled the pace of the first half, with two scoring opportunities afforded to them by Team Australia miscues.
In the second quarter, a muffed punt return by Team Australia gave Team Sweden the ball on the 31 yard line of their opponents. Unfortunately, Team Sweden squandered the opportunity with a high snap over their quarterback’s head that put them back to the 50 yard line. From there, the drive ended in another of many punts for Team Sweden.
Team Sweden would get another scoring chance with 1 second remaining in the half. Due to a miscommunication between the center and quarterback on a fourth down snap, Team Australia turned the ball over to Team Sweden on their 19 yard line, with 0:01 left on the clock. Selma Linden attempted a 36 yard field goal that was unsuccessful.
In two quarters highlighted by 11 punts, the score remained Sweden – 0, Australia – 0 at halftime.
The third quarter would be a continuation of Team Sweden and Team Australia trading punts. Late in the quarter Team Australia grabbed momentum with a big 22-yard run by receiver Riley Hodgson on a jet sweep. They used that momentum and an uptempo-no huddle strategy to move the ball outside of the Team Sweden’s 30 yard line, where their drive stalled.
With 9 minutes remaining in the game, Team Australia running back Casey Byrne broke a defender’s tackle and never looked back as she raced 74 yards for the only score of the game. Marissa Hayes successfully kicked the extra point attempt, making the final score SWEDEN – 0, AUSTRALIA – 7.
Most Valuable Players
- Sweden – Defensive Back Frida Åkesson
- Australia – Running Back Casey Byrne
- (Swe) RB, Anna Hedström – 14 rush, 50 yds / 5 rec, 28 yds
- (Swe) QB, Linda Widberg – 9/18, 50 yds
- (Aus) RB, Casey Byrne – 9 rush, 91 yds, 1 td
- (Swe) DL, Johanna Aspenberg – 6.5 tkls, 2.5 tfl
- (Swe) DB, Frida Åkesson – 5 tkls, 1 tfl
- (Swe) LB, Elin Thimfors – 4.5 tkls, 1 tfl
- (Aus) LB, Rachelle Ware – 8.5 tkls, 1.5 tfl
- (Aus) LB, Kelly Whitehead – 4.5 tkls, 2.5 tfl
- (Aus) DB, Laura St Ruth – 6 tkls, 1 tfl, 1 pbu
- (Aus) DB, D Herdman – 3.5 tkls, 2 pbu, 1 int
Photo: Jari Turunen